Guevara golden goal sends Metro to OC semis
August 27, 2003 (Official Game Summary)

MetroStars New England
08.27.03 · Open Cup

The MetroStars defeated the New England Revolution tonight 2-1, in the quarterfinals of the 2003 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup in front of 3,853 fans at Yurcak Field, on the campus of Rutgers University. With the win, the MetroStars advance to the semifinals of the prestigious tournament, which will also be played at Yurcak Field against bitter rival D.C. United on Tuesday, September 23.

In the second golden goal overtime period, a Mike Magee corner was headed in front of the net by MetroStars captain Eddie Pope. Midfielder Amado Guevara then pounced on the pass, and knocked it into the back of the net past a sprawling New England goalkeeper Adin Brown to propel the Metros to victory.

Brown kept the visitors in the game early as the MetroStars forced the New England netminder to make three key saves. The first, a low shot by Clint Mathis in the fifth minute, forced Brown to make a diving save. In the 20th Ricardo Clark sent a rocket shot from 30 yards that again forced a dive. The third came in the 24th minute by Mark Lisi, who forced Brown into yet another lunging stop on a 22-yard rocket. In all, the MetroStars blasted 30 shots at the William and Mary product.

Finally, the ice was broken in the 29th minute when Clint Mathis picked up a pass from Guevara in the midfield and darted upfield. The U.S. World Cup star dribbled to just outside the 18-yard box and fired a low shot past Brown to the far post to put the MetroStars up, 1-0.

In the 45th minute, the Revolution got the equalizer from defender Jay Heaps. Heaps collected a cross from Shalrie Joseph, and volleyed a ball from the penalty spot past Metros goalkeeper Jonny Walker, to even the score at the half, 1-1.

The Metros nearly broke the tie in the 67th minute as Mathis collected a pass from Guevara and dribbled inside the New England 18-yard box. Mathis fired a low shot, which again forced a diving save by Brown.

In the third minute, of the first golden-goal overtime period, the fireworks began on Yurcak Field. New England defender Joey Franchino got tangled up at midfield with Mathis. The two players went down, and the ensuing scuffle saw Franchino throw punches at MetroStars striker. Once the scuffle was untangled, both players were issued red cards, and each side was left with 10 men. The red card will forces Mathis out of the team's next Open Cup contest.

Lineup: Walker, DiGiamarino, Pope, Jolley, Ziadie, Williams, Clark, Lisi, Guevara, Mathis, Wolyniec. Subs: Magee, Gaven.

•  News Archive
•  Rumor Mill
•  Weekly Awards
•  Season Ratings
•  Last Game Ratings

•  History Overview
•  All-Time Roster
•  All-Time Results
•  All-Time Stats
•  Team Records
•  Hall of Fame
•  All-Time XI
•  Numeric Roster
•  International Roster
•  Coaching History
•  Captain History
•  Draft History
•  Trophy Case
•  Transfer Records
•  Frivolities
•  Honors History
•  Award History
•  Ratings History

Home · Team · News · History · Boards · Stuff · About