Metro has no problems with Toronto, 3:0
August 15, 2015

New York Toronto

08.15.15 · League

A week after Metro sent NYCFC packing, another triumvirate of designated players suited up for another one of the league's biggest spenders at Red Bull Arena. The result was the same: dominance from a peaking Metro side. Bradley Wright-Phillips' first half goal put the home team out front, while Anthony Wallace and Gonzalo Veron increased the margin after the break.

A suspension and an injury forced Jesse Marsch to make a pair of changes in his back four with Karl Ouimette replacing Damien Perrinelle in the center and Anthony Wallace returning at left back for Kemar Lawrence.

Other than an early breakaway by Marky Delgado that the US youth international was unable to capitalize on, Toronto proved woefully incapable of dealing with Metro's high press. The visitors continually sabotaged their attempts to counterattack, cheaply turning the ball over time and again.

Through sustained pressure on Joe Bendik's goal, Metro broke through in the 27th minute. Former Metro Michael Bradley attempted to clear a corner kick, but the ball went right to Felipe in the center of the pitch. Probing from right to left, the ball eventually ended up at the feet of Mike Grella, whose progress was halted by two Toronto defenders. With Wright-Phillips lurking on his right, Grella spun around and deftly chipped the ball past both defenders into the Englishman's path. His momentum carrying him to the left and Ashtone Morgan hanging on his right shoulder, Wright-Phillips shot across his body, slipping the ball inside the far post for his team-leading 11th goal of the season.

The second half started just as the first ended, Metro needing less than 40 seconds to force Bendik into saving a Wright-Phillips shot from finding the back of the net. Toronto tried to quickly pressure the makeshift Metro backline with long balls but lacked the quality to make the tactic work. Instead Toronto's midfield repeatedly collapsed under the pressure exerted upon them by Metro's tireless midfield trio.

In full control of the match, Metro doubled their lead in the 65th minute when Anthony Wallace made the most of Sacha Kljestan's feed from midfield. The Metro fullback teed up a long shot outside the box ten minutes earlier that went well over the Toronto goal, but this time his aim was true. Without any pressure from the Toronto defenders, Wallace dribbled toward goal, set the ball up on his left foot, and lashed a low bouncing shot past the overmatched Bendik.

The final goal of the night came deep in stoppage time, long after the Toronto players had given up on the night. The goal itself may not have been noteworthy as a point-blank tap-in off a rebound, but who scored it was. In only his second appearance, Veron put in a respectable ten minute shift that saw him provide an excellent pass for Shaun Wright-Phillips that nearly resulted in a goal. The Argentine designated player was active in the final third throughout his stint, even starting the play that he finished for his first MLS goal.

Lineup: Robles, Wallace, Ouimette, Miazga, Lade, McCarty, Martins, Kljestan, Grella, Sam, Wright-Phillips. Subs: Wright-Phillips, Veron, Davis.

•  News Archive
•  Rumor Mill
•  Weekly Awards
•  Season Ratings
•  Last Game Ratings

•  History Overview
•  All-Time Roster
•  All-Time Results
•  All-Time Stats
•  Team Records
•  Hall of Fame
•  All-Time XI
•  Numeric Roster
•  International Roster
•  Coaching History
•  Captain History
•  Draft History
•  Trophy Case
•  Transfer Records
•  Frivolities
•  Honors History
•  Award History
•  Ratings History

Home · Team · News · History · Boards · Stuff · About