Ten Best: Metro blowouts (update)
Angel vs DC United, 2008
November 24, 2008
Since we last looked at the ten biggest blowouts in Metro history, an update has to be made. For descriptions of the initial top ten, see the original article, parts one and two, as well as last year's update.
10) July 7, 2001: Miami 0, MetroStars 3
9) May 2, 2001: MetroStars 4, Kansas City 1
8) June 23, 2004: Los Angeles 0, MetroStars 3
7) August 10, 2008: New York 4, DC United 1
The biggest win over DC Scum in Metro history came after an inconspicuous start: NY went down 1:0 early. But a free kick from Juan Pablo Angel, a goal from Mike Magee, another one from Angel, pouncing on an idiotic DC mistake, and one from Sinisa Ubiparipovic for good measure, made it into a rout. On the other end, the Metro defense was terrific, after making that early mistake.
6) November 9, 2008: Houston 0, New York 3
Heading into the return leg of MLS Cup quarterfinals in Houston, few thought Metro had a chance. But a chance they had, as Dane Richards has a game of a lifetime. He scores one himself, causes the Angel penalty kick, and feeds John Wolyniec after an amazing run. On the other end, Danny Cepero is amazing between the pipes as Metro moves to the second round for the first time in eight years.
5) May 19, 2007: New York 4, Columbus 0
4) June 30, 1996: Columbus 0, MetroStars 4
3) August 14, 1996: MetroStars 4, New England 0
2) June 15, 2002: MetroStars 5, Los Angeles 0
1) August 26, 2006: New York 6, Salt Lake 0